Are you embarking on a new educational journey in Finland? As the new school year approaches, the anticipation and excitement of studying in a foreign country can be exhilarating. Whether you're pursuing a degree in a renowned Finnish university or starting your academic venture in this Nordic land, this comprehensive guide is here to help you navigate through the ins and outs of being an international student in Finland.
1. Finding accommodation: Home away from home Securing suitable accommodation is paramount. From university dormitories to private rentals, Finland offers various options to suit your preferences and budget. Begin your search early, as the demand can be high, especially in university towns.
2. Understanding the education system: Structure and opportunities Familiarize yourself with Finland's education system, renowned for its high quality. The focus on self-directed learning, group discussions, and interactive teaching methods might be different from what you're accustomed to. Embrace the opportunity to engage actively in your studies.
3. Embracing the culture: The Finnish way of life Immerse yourself in Finnish culture to enhance your experience. Learn about sauna etiquette, enjoy the tranquility of nature, and savor local cuisine. Joining clubs, participating in events, and connecting with locals can help you integrate and make the most of your time.
4. Mastering language skills: Finnish and English While many Finns speak English, learning basic Finnish phrases can enhance your daily interactions and cultural understanding. Universities often offer language courses, and practicing with locals can further enrich your linguistic skills.
5. Navigating practicalities: Banking, healthcare, and more Setting up a bank account, registering for healthcare, and obtaining a residence permit (if necessary) are crucial steps. Ensure you have the required documents in order to smoothly navigate these practicalities.
6. Socializing and networking: Building connections Join student organizations, clubs, and events to meet fellow international students and locals. Building a network not only helps with your social life but can also open doors to potential career opportunities.
7. Balancing studies and leisure: Enjoying both worlds Effective time management is key. While studies are a priority, exploring Finland's picturesque landscapes, attending cultural events, and engaging in hobbies can enhance your student experience.
8. Seeking support: Utilizing student services Finnish universities provide a range of student support services, including counseling, career guidance, and health services. Don't hesitate to utilize these resources whenever you need assistance.
Embarking on an educational journey in Finland is an enriching experience. By embracing the culture, understanding the education system, and making connections, you'll find yourself seamlessly blending into the vibrant academic and social fabric of this Nordic country. Remember, your journey as an international student in Finland is not just about education—it's about growth, exploration, and creating lasting memories.
Whether you're stepping into a lecture hall for the first time or immersing yourself in Finnish traditions, make the most of every moment. Your time as an international student in Finland is a chapter that will shape your future, broaden your horizons, and leave you with memories to cherish for a lifetime.
For AN EASIER START in Finland, we offer 10% discount when you use the code “SMART10” at the check-out.